Search

Saturday 21 April 2012

Accepting it's 'just' anxiety

This week has been a little challenging for me. I'm feeling more motivated and I'm sleeping a lot better - albeit, at the wrong times - but my anxiety is still quite high most of the time and I've saw an increase in panic attacks in the last few days. However, I can cope with this (I think) for a few weeks until the meds are at the correct dose and start to work properly.

Something interesting happened this week though. Two nights in a row I found myself having quite severe chest pain & feeling that I couldn't breathe. I wasn't feeling anxious at all at this point, although my anxiety levels quickly shot up after the chest pains. 'this is it' I thought 'this really is a heart attack this time'. There's no way it could be anxiety, I DIDN'T FEEL ANXIOUS. After a while the chest pain stopped and my anxiety levels dropped enough for me to 'feel safe enough' to go to bed.

The next night I experienced the same thing. I worked myself into such a state the second time that I actually contemplated calling an ambulance. There was no way experiencing chest when not feeling anxious was normal. I managed to calm myself a little and take a diazepam tablet just to see. Twenty minutes later the chest pains were gone, meaning it clearly was anxiety that was causing it. This is what frustrates me. If I have anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious, how do I know if it's just anxiety or something that could potentially be serious? This is what perpetuates my health anxiety.

If I constantly go and get every symptom checked out, I keep the anxiety about my health going as do I when I worry about every symptom but if I just ignore it and think 'oh, it's only anxiety' I'm scared I'll miss something serious. I guess that's the nature of health anxiety but it's been so long that I don't know what the balance between being concerned & over concerned even is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment