Search

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Coping statements

When I go out I usually take a list of coping statements with me. When I'm experiencing high levels of anxiety or panic, I am completely incapable of thinking rationally so I either have these written on a piece of paper in my bag or I read them from my phone, whatever's most convenient or easier for me. The coping statements I use are:

- everything you are feeling is ANXIEtY! Nothing bad is going to happen. You won't collapse, die, faint or have a dizzy turn.

- you've been here before and you've felt like this before; NOTHING bad has ever happened.

- despite how they feel, your legs are completely capable of holding you up. They won't buckle underneath you.

- you don't need or want to leave. It may feel awful but if you stay you'll feel better after it.

- nobody is paying attention to you. They're all preoccupied with their own lives.

- if you really need to leave, you can. You will not get stuck. Your legs will carry you to the car.

- breathe slowly, count to ten and smile!

- you always feel better when you get to the car or once you get home - proof that these symptoms are just anxiety.

- I can do this!! Keep going. You're fine!


I've kept my list relatively small so that its easier when I'm panicking. I do find that it helps me a lot. It's kept me from leaving a situation on many occasions.

2 comments:

  1. Lists are good :) Not only helps one remember, but crucially creates that all important distraction giving one something definite to do other than panic!

    Congratulations on having a car. I gave mine up a few years ago because I wasn't using it enough, but pedal-power beckons now the sun is being more social.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making lists. I have lists for everything! My lists for going out really do help me though. I do have to get the timing right though - if I get too panicky nothing can help me except to just let it pass.

    I'm currently just learning to drive. It's a good way for me to push my boundaries with agoraphobia but be literally in control of where I go and it's nice to do something kind of normal. Goodness knows how I'll be able to afford a car though if I did pass my test! Think I'll have to be like you and get a bike!

    ReplyDelete