Search

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Panic attack thought record

Came across one of these from my psychology sessions last year and it's a classic example of how bad my health anxiety really is.

Situation


Keep getting a clear liquid pouring out of my nose. It feels like a nosebleed. I googled it and results showed I had a brain leak which could lead to serious problems. I am alone in the house.

Physical Symptoms



  • Clear stuff pouring out of nose
  • feeling hot & cold alternately 
  • nauseous
  • weak
  • headache
  • can't stand
  • breathing out of control
  • dizzy
  • tension all over body

Emotions

Fear  - 100%

Panic - 100%

Unhelpful thoughts or images

  • I'm dying 
  • I need to go to hospital/see a doctor
  • There's no one here to help me
  • I don't want to die on my own
  • My Mum and I had an argument and she won't answer the phone to me - there's no one else I can call

Response to thought

  • There are a number of conditions that could cause symptoms such as this - google always shows the worst.
  • If I really needed help I could call NHS 24 or an ambulance
Outcome

  • I'm going to make an appointment to go and have it checked 
  • I'm not going to google
  • Try to focus on my response to thought answers and not focus so much on the unhelpful thoughts or images
  • Fear - 75%
  • Panic 55%

I did go to the doctor about this after it happened a few more times and I was diagnosed with chronic sinus infection & a post nasal drip. I haven't had much bother with either since starting a nasal spray. Just shows though how something that would be trivial to majority of the population can get me into such a state.

No comments:

Post a Comment